Re: (ET) High current in reverse - E20

At 09:20 AM 2/7/05 -0500, SteveS wrote:
I guess it's a common failure area - good to know. I replaced mine with some monster diodes I had laying around. One odd thing is how they put the varistor on board #3 with about 18" of wire going down to the contactor. I would think the varistor would be more effective if mounted right at the contactor.

That way it can deal with the inductive kick back of the wire as well as the coil. Whether the wire contributes enough inductance to be significant is another question. However, a component soldered to a PCB is less likely to be lost during maintenance than one attached to the terminals of a contactor coil.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

                        Kelvin Throop, III