Re: (ET) High current in reverse - E20

I guess it's a common failure area - good to know. I replaced mine with some monster diodes I had laying around. One odd thing is how they put the varistor on board #3 with about 18" of wire going down to the contactor. I would think the varistor would be more effective if mounted right at the contactor.

- SteveS

Markus Lorch wrote:

Steve, Chris,

I had also the same issue. On my CC E20 reverse started to pull too much current. Turned out I was loosing the field
in reverse. It was also those diodes powering the
fields and I had noticed a bad varistor at the same time.
Replaced varistor and diodes (also with 6A rectifier
version from radio shack) ... works fine ever since

I agree with chris, I'd guess these diodes are stressed
quite a bit from the spikes that occurr when breaking the
armature current and if the varistor is bad in addition then
they probably give after a couple of years.

My other E20 (a BA model) had one of these diodes bad as
well when I got it.
Markus