(ET) Used golf batteries and charging

I still have not figured out how to "subscribe" to these
threads, but here is my replay for a couple questions.

Used Golf batteries, I purchased a SET of GOOD Trojan T-105s
last year for $64.50 inc. taxes.  My local Cushman dealer
allowed me to sift through their nearly full tub (4'x4'x4') of
cores to find the "best" six.  We first lookd at voltage, then
water level, and tossed any that were critically low aside.  I
think now that my charger and "Landis Controller" are working
100%, I will get at LEAST three years from them.  I cannot
fathom a better way to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle than this.
Furthermore, it is CHEAP!

I installed a Landis controller, being worried about winter and
charging.  It would never get the pack voltage much over 40Vdc
OC.  So I replaced the capacitor with one from Grainger for
about $6 with Tax, and it lasted about two days and quit.  I
searched for a GOOD replacement 100% duty-cycle (RUN) capacitor
in the 4mfd size for months, and I found many for $20 or over,
but I did not consider this reasonable.  My pack suuffered
terribally from being undercgarged, and so did my electric
bill!!!!!!!  DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT attempt to charge your pack
if the cap is bad, you will NEVER charge it to more than about
60%, and the charger will need to run almost continiously (at a
useage of nearly 1700 WATT-Hours!!!)  For me, that is about
$0.13/hr!  After FINALLY locating the correct capacitor for a
reasonable price (around $8/unit), I bought five of them.  The
charger now pumps the pack to over 42V quickly, and the
controller works just as it should.   Runs the charger for a
while, shuts off, if the OCV is 38.2 or lower (current setting)
it turns on again for a while and rechecks.  This keeps the
RESTING, or OPEN CIRUIT Voltage right where it should be for a
fully charged pack at rest without boiling off much water.  It
takes about a day for the voltage to fall from the switch off
point which varies, down to the switch on point (which can be
set to your liking).

On rebuilt batteries, MANY locak salvage yards "rebuild"
batteries, and sell them for $20.  They work well, and are
again, a very good Reduce, Reuse, Recycle idea.  A friend of
mine used to do this, the failure rates were relatively low as well.

=====
John G, '73 E12