(ET) High current in reverse - E20

Lately, when I put my E20 in reverse, it seems to work ok until I get past the second 'step' on the throttle - then the power goes away, the voltmeter drops to 0, and I start to get that hot electric smell. I assume the field must be going open, but it never happens in forward. I need to break out the schematics, but thought I'd see if anyone has had this.

Just finished the first snow plowing of the winter - had to remember not to be smiling when my wife was watching ;-)

SteveS
E20