Mower decks (was: RE: (ET) POR-15)

David Roden wrote:

> The last time I reworked my E15 mower deck, like you, I
> wanted to have the
> bottom coated with truck bedliner material.  Not the rubbery
> DIY stuff you can
> buy at K-Mart, but the real epoxy-based material that the
> franchise dealers
> apply.

Hi All,

Being fairly new to this ET stuff, I was a bit distressed when I removed my
mid-mounted deck and scraped some of the dried-on grass goo off.  Darned if
there wasn't a fair amount of rust under there.  So I have another little
job to do before mowing this year.

Remember the discussions about what we'd do for parts when Bill Gunn
retired?  I'm thinking once more that a fiberglass deck would be a Good
Thing.  I seem to remember that the bare deck stamping is the same for all
large frame tractors.  I could take a mold from one and add exterior metal
reinforcement where needed, and attachment points for front- and mid-mount.
Hmmm, maybe I could even make just one deck that's convertible into either
front or mid.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering doing this.  How many decks were there?
think I'd have to make it accommodate both the large and small diameter
motors.  Any other permutations?  Most importantly, how much would a well
made, durable, rust-free replacement deck (without motors) be worth to
ETers?  Kinda determines whether it's worth my time.  For example, how much
did Bill get for a new one?  How much does a good used one go for?  Or is
the availability of used decks good enough for now?

Chris