Re: (ET) Looking for a PP-1659A Military Battery Charger

On 21 Jan 2005 at 8:48, Klein Robert W NPRI wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find PP-1659A Battery Charger?

This is what most of us call a "Fair Radio charger," because the surplus
outfit Fair Radio sold a bunch of them for $50 each some years back.  They
were pretty popular with EV hobbyists, who tend to be a frugal bunch. <g>

For those who aren't familiar with them, the Fair Radio chargers are a
military surplus battery charger.  Well, sort of: they're actually just a
multivoltage power supply, comprising a tapped transformer, a couple of
switches to change the taps, a rectifier, and a couple of panel meters.
They
have absolutely no voltage regulation or charge control, so as chargers
they
are pretty crude.  Also, several users (including me) have had rectifier
failures.  This may be partly because of their age.  I suspect that it's
also
because they don't have very good case ventilation, nor do they have any
kind
of current limit device save the resistance of their wiring.

But because their (approximate) output voltage can be set in one-volt
increments, they're pretty useful as quick-and-dirty backup and shop
chargers.
 I own two; one lives in the garage, the other in the basement.  I use
both of
them fairly frequently.

Fair Radio sold out of them a few years ago, and AFAIK has not gotten any
more
in.  But the last time I was there, they had a bunch of bits from
defective
ones - lots of cases with transformers and rectifiers, for example, but
they
seemed to have dismantled most of the front panels so they could sell the
meters and switches.  If you're able to visit, I suppose there's a chance
they
might be able to scrounge up enough parts for you to build one.  Or, you
might
be able to get one of the transformers and a set of switches, then "roll
your
own."  Try giving Fair Radio a call or email.  Warning: there is a LOT of
fussy wiring inside one of those chargers!

http://www.fairradio.com/

Also, one of the EV list members, Bob Rice, offered a FR charger for sale
month or two ago.  I suspect someone's bought it already, but it can't
hurt to
drop him a line: bobrice snet net

Failing in that, you might post a note on the EV list asking if anyone
wants
to sell a Fair Radio charger.  If you're not a list member, instructions
for
subscribing are at

http://www.evdl.org/help/

Finally, if all fails, you can homebrew an approximate equivalent of the
FR
charger with a Variac, bridge rectifier, and voltmeter.  It won't be
isolated
from the power mains, but you could add a surplus isolation transformer if
you
don't mind the additional weight and cost.

Good luck in your search!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
In politics stupidity is not a handicap.

                                        -- Paul Graham