RE: (ET) Tire chains source?

> Could someone explain the difference between 2-link and
> 4-link chains?

David,

I think its the number of chain links on the guide chain
that the chain segments that
go across the tire are apart from each other.

2-link:

-----------
  |  |  |
-----------

4-link:

so a 2-link chain has almost twice as many "cross" chains that
add traction than a 4-link chain.

I used my 4-link chains last summer when grading my driveway and
the E20 snapped one of the cross links in two, possibly because
of the irregular traction situation with some slip in between the
links (I didn't notice real shocks on the driveline though)

Markus