(ET) Re: Driving modern 120 VAC accessories - Chris Tromley's question about paralleling cheapie 12vdc inverters

The cheap 12vdc powered inverters are NOT usually sine wave.

I don't know how many different things should not be run on the Modified
Sine Wave inverters, but all the low end (MSW) Uninterruptible Power
Supplies (like APC Back-UPS model line) state that they should only be used
to power PC's - which have switching power supplies in them, and apparently
don't mind Modified Sine Wave power.  For other loads, APC recommends their
sine wave models - like Smart-UPS, or better.

I would think it is similar for power inverters  - and maybe it all depends
on how many steps in the wave - how closely it approximates a real sine
wave.

I think the 12vdc powered MSW inverters can power drills and similar if
they
are universal motors - don't know if extra motor heating or other side
effects occur.

The power inverters and UPS's with Sine wave output all cost MUCH more than
equal wattage MSW models.

John
E-20's, Comuta Cars, B&D and Ryobi Cordless mowers, and anything else
battery powered I can find or build . . .