Re: (ET) Battery maintainers

*nod* Quite true, though switching DC-DC power supplies can still get
pretty efficient. It's just as the amps go up and the volts go down
things get complicated.

I think honestly the best way to do things on an Elec-Trak is to get a
36-120 volt AC inverter and just run AC tools. Think 3600 watts of power
and you're in business. Then you can hook up the best electric tool you
can find, and if you find one with an auto-power on and off it's flawless.

Overall I like my little power take off for the homelite tools, and to
be honest they don't draw that much power to unbalance the pack: The
hedge clipper spends 90% of it's time under very little load when
cutting, and the pruner isn't used much either. The chainsaw isn't even
too bad unless you're like me and are cutting down 20 inch logs with a
10 inch chainsaw. :-)

What I think I might get is a little 5amp 12 to 24 volt battery
balancer. Then when the rear batteries go down, the forward batteries
would be tapped at a low rate over time to balance things out.

Chris

Jim Coate wrote:
One catch is that the 36 volts from the ET batteries is DC (direct current). The 120 volts from the outlet in your house is AC (alternating current). A cheap transformer (wire wrapped around a chunk of iron) can change AC voltages at almost any current level and the resulting AC can easily be changed into DC with a diode (also cheap); changing DC voltages requires a bunch of electronics that basically converts the DC to AC, changes the voltage, and then back to DC again. Due to the extra parts & complications, and the high current levels and small market Chris mentioned, the DC-DC convertors cost a bunch more. Especially a DC-DC convertor that operates with a wide input of say 25-50 volts that the "36 volt" pack may actually be at at various times.

Fixinguys aol com wrote:

Question from a non-electronics guy:
My wife has a wall cube gizmo which takes 110v and distributes it to either 18v, 12v, 9v, or 6v, depending on the port you plug into the laptop, radio, etc. Why does it seem so elusive to develop a unit which takes 36v and distributes it to 18v (lift), 12v (lift), 24v (chainsaw), or 36v (original implements), thereby eliminating equalization problems and extending battery life?
SteveA
e15

_________
Jim Coate