Re: (ET) Battery maintainers

At 08:31 PM 1/5/05 -0500, Fixinguys aol com wrote:
Question from a non-electronics guy:
My wife has a wall cube gizmo which takes 110v and distributes it to either 18v, 12v, 9v, or 6v, depending on the port you plug into the laptop, radio, etc. Why does it seem so elusive to develop a unit which takes 36v and distributes it to 18v (lift), 12v (lift), 24v (chainsaw), or 36v (original implements), thereby eliminating equalization problems and extending battery life?

They do make them. Chris is right the big issue is power. You are essentially talking about a 40 Amp motor controller. Reasonably common but rather more expensive than a wall wart. With an inductive load (like a motor) they will generally be fairly efficient.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

                        Kelvin Throop, III