Re: (ET) Note! Newer window motors do not work with Elec-Trak!

Just got my 12V winch with forward/reverse for about $75 shipped from eBay. Took a while to find a winch that had reverse that didn't end up going for more $$$. I really wanted to mount it inside, but it looks like it's going to be too wide. Reading the manual it's rated for .85HP but it says it will draw 90 Amps! when pulling 2000Lbs, no load draw is 10A, has a PM intermittent use motor.

The plan is to mount a 12V 17Ah SLA in the tractor somewhere and feed it with a 36V to 12V converter (I have a large 3A from eBay that I read about here and a small 4A one I got from a surplus place) and run all my 12V accessories from the battery, use it as a buffer for peak loads, like this lift.

Do you see any flaws with this plan? Do you think I would need a charge controller if I wire this through the main disconnect so it only gets powered when I'm using the tractor?

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

Chris Zach <czach computer org>
Sent by: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu

11/26/2004 04:25 PM

Elec-trak list <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
cc
Subject
(ET) Note! Newer window motors do not work with Elec-Trak!

Markus has a very nice web page with a description of the Elec-trak lift
motors, along with a suggestion that a 96-2000 chevy S10 motor might work.

I just got one on Ebay; no go.

The bolt pattern is different and smaller, the gear itself is slightly
bigger (so nothing lines up) and the motor itself has a much smaller
armature and is a pernament magnet type motor, not a series wound model.

In other words, it isn't going to work. Being a PM motor, running it
over-voltage will wind up with a permanent field weakening condition
(since the magnets don't change their field) and a burned out armature
in no time.

Time to buy a real one.

Chris