Re: (ET) How to check out new E12

Hi Marc and welcome!

A couple of thoughts in addition to what Jim already said.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:28:13 -0600, Marc Paap did scribe:
>> 1. Is that the way to check the front lift and main motor function?
> I haven't gotten it up to look underneath it yet but I assume there
> are just two leads coming from each motor.

Actually, there are three leads on the front lift motor.  One is a common and is connected to the middle of the battery pack (for 18v).  Then the other two connections are for up and down.  The Lift switch connects one or the other to the top (plus) end of the pack.

> Also is that the way to
> check all the other motors like tiller and mowing deck motors?

As Jim says, you can just hook up and see.

If you do want to bench test one of the motors, there is a post on the elec-trak.com forum that shows how to run a drive motor on 6v for a test. (http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7)

> 3. Is there a better way to check the charging system than to just
> plug it into a wall jack and use a voltmeter to see if 36V are
> coming out?

I'd suggest at least checking out the diodes with a multimeter before you try anything with the charger.  In fact, given the way these things fail with age, I'd pretty much recommend replacing both diodes and the capacitor as a preventative measure just to save you coming back to it later.  And when you hook it up to AC power, make sure the timer works properly.  You don't want the timer to mess up and boil the batteries to death.

> 4. Is there any other advice that I need to get this going or am I
> on the right track.

One other thing I'd suggest before hooking it up and giving it a run is just to do a good visual inspection of the wiring and of the relays.  Look for any wires that are broken or chewed (mice love dormant tractors!).  Check the relays to see that they are clear of any junk that would prevent them from moving, and possibly go over the contacts with some contact cleaner.    And be safe!  Dropping a dead short across a 36v pack can be a bit more exciting than you want.  Once you do get the batteries in, turn off the disconnect and unplug the charger before working on wiring.  Use insulated tools when removing and installing the cables on the batteries.  Check voltages with a meter before assuming anything is safe to work on.

> At first I thought this thing was real simple,
> but after reading the list posts for the last two months I found
> out more regarding things I didn't know about like voltage surges,
> expensive mistakes, solenoid coils, contactors, breakers, MOV, etc.
> Is there a website that walks a person through basic initial check

> out with the order of things to do, and mistakes not to be made

> etc.?

Don't get too hung up on all the things that sound mysterious.  This email list and the elec-trak,org web site are a great resource.  The original documentation for the tractors is very helpful too.  The use and care manual is available online (http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8).  The Service Manual is excellent for understanding how these things work and how to troubleshoot them.  Not sure how you can get one if you don't already have it.

At the same time, these are 30 year old tractors without factory or dealer service and support.  We are all going to have to be persistent, creative to keep them running.  Be prepared for a learning curve as you get into all this, particularly if you are not overly familiar with electrical circuits of this sort.

You might want to tell us where you are located - maybe you'll be lucky enough to find another ET owner nearby who'd be willing to drop by and share advice.

Good luck with your new toy!  The good news is that these tractors really are wonderful machines and an awful lot of fun to use.  Looking forward to hearing that yours is up and running.

- Tom Coate

E-20, Leesburg, VA

P.S.  Yes, Jim and I are brothers.