Re: (ET) v belt for E12

Bob & fellow ET'ers,

The RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) has some universal nomenclature
standards for drive belts.  "3VX", which I believe is the appropriate type
of belt for the ET large frame drive, is a 3/8" (top width) by 5/16" thick
V-shaped notched belt.   Following are the representative trade names that
each of these 4 manufacturers use for a "3VX" belt:
1.  Browning:  358
2.  Goodyear:  HY-T Wedge
3.  Gates:   Super HC
4.  Dayco:  Power Wedge Vee Cog-Belt

The last 3 digits indicate the total outside diameter of the belt.  Zack
below says his old belt was a "3V335" which means it was 33.5" outer
diameter.  Because there was no "X" after the "V", his old belt had no
teeth
or notches.  The Bill Gunn supplied Gates brand belt (3VX335) has the "X"
so
has notches.  The first digit in the belt name, "3", specifies the width
and
thickness of the belt: 3/8" (top width) x 5/16" (thickness).

The belt on my E12s is a "3VX355" which is 35.5" outer diameter.  There is
plenty of play in the motor mount to utilize either the 33.5" or the 35.5"
and I don't know why one might be better - the 33.5" OD belt is about $0.50
less so I'd go with that if ordering new.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml is another source for
these
and they will ship to your door or you can pick up at a distribution
center.
Below is some information from the Grainger web page for a "3VX335"
including technical specs and ordering information.

      TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
            Type 3VX
            Nominal Outside L (In.) 33 1/2
            Top Width (In.) 3/8
            RMA Belt Number 3VX335
            Thickness 5/16
            Edge Type Raw
            Standards Rubber Manufacturers Association

                  V Belt,33.5 In,3vx335
                  V Belt, Nominal Outside Length 33.5 Inches, Top Width 3/8
Inch, RMA Belt Number 3VX335, 5/16 Inch Thick

                        Grainger Item:   2L382
                        Price (ea) :  $13.37
                        Manufacturer:  DAYTON
                        Mfg. Model#:  2L382G