Re: (ET) v belt for E12 More belt information

Richard, Bob, and others,

The "X" in the belt number stands for notches in the belt.  Other than the
notches, a 3V335 and a 3VX335 belt are the same.  The notches help a belt
wrap tightly around a small diameter pulley without accelerated wear.  You
will want a 3VX335 belt over the 3V335 because the motor pulley on our
tractors has a small diameter.

A word of warning.  Pep Boys (at least the Delaware Pep Boys) and places
like them don't usually stock the V series of belts and will make a
substitution of a similar looking belt.  A belt with the incorrect profile
will wear out faster and slip much sooner than the correct belt.

All of the GE large frame tractors, and I think the smaller ones as well,
use the 3VX series belts.  If you don't have a 3V series belt on your
tractor chances are that earlier in its life an improper belt was
installed.

Perhaps we should have a list of proper belt sizes.  I'll start:

GE E-15, E-20, Wheel Horse B-145, and Wheel Horse C-185 all use a pair of
3VX335 belts.

Here's some general belt information:

The most common improper substitution is a 3L for a 3V belt.
A 3L series belt has roughly 1/3 the horsepower rating of a 3V series belt.
L series are generally consider fractional horsepower belts.
The 3V, 5V, and 8V series belts are available in "X" notched versions.
A, B, C, and D series belts are also available in "X" notched versions.

3V and 3VX:  3/8" top x 5/16" tall
5V and 5VX:  5/8" top x 17/32" tall
8V and 8VX:  1" top x 29/32" tall

3L:  3/8" top x 7/32" tall