(ET) newer batteries are tougher?

OK, you guys and your differing opinions are really starting to confuse me.
<G>  All because I thought it counterintuitive that the owner's manual says
new batteries charge on the 1-2 year setting (up to 19 hours) and older
batteries, less--or LOTS less.  And it appears to be saying those new
batteries need those long charging times for 1-2 YEARS??

<New batteries require longer to charge because they have more capacity and
a higher finish voltage. >

Is it really as simple as that?  That is, a difference in 5 hours vs. 19
hours charging, for a couple tenths of a volt?

< batteries tend to get more out of balance as they cycle>

This 'sounds' reasonable but wouldn't that imply LONGER charging times as
they age, to equalize?
I would have guessed that new batteries would tend to be FAIRLY equivalent
and NOT need long equalization times?

<Older batteries also gas easier >

Hmmm....   College chemistry was a long time ago and it's not immediately
obvious to me why that might be.

Thanks for the info!
Thon

---