Re: (ET) Ammeter observations

Markus,

I did see some spikes well over 200A, but you are right with a
digital readout, the exact peaks are nearly impossible to
determine.

As for the constant current by gear, that is believe it or not,
completely expected.  Why?  Because it's the load on the motor
that determines the current draw.  The more Tq it must supply,
the higher the currents will be.  With lower gearing the current
will be lower due to decreased Tq demands, conversely with
higher gearing.

You might ask what about the electrical speed selector?  Well,
you did not alter the load (Tq requirement), you only reduced
the voltage applied.  Your WATTS are lower, but so is your
speed, while the amps remained the same.  That's why you choose
the GEAR for the right speed with the "speed" selector in full.
You get the most distance for a given Wattage useage.

EVs are no different.  You want to apply the greatest possible
voltage at the lowest possible amperage for the greatest range.
This is where people get messed up by not optomising their
gearing in an EV conversion.

Also, yes my motor is a late model PM type, so current draw will
be less than others.

=====
John G, '73 E12