Re: (ET) wiring diag help needed...

When I installed my Alltrax, I also lost the pto and when I installled it as I thought I should it blew a wire. What is causing the problem for me is when the mower motors are not powered. I installed that line thru the 50 amp fuse while I trouble shot it. So far I cannot get that to work, so I disconnected wire 20 and the motors now cost to a stop. There must have been a momentary contact for the mower motors when shut off, But I cannot figure it out. If you unhook wire 20 and use the mower it will at least run but it will coast to a stop.

John Briese

From: Jim Coate <jbc coate org>
To: Elec-Trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Subject: Re: (ET) wiring diag help needed...
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:01:12 -0400

That's a bummer! I've let that special smoke out of controllers before and it's no fun... normally followed by several minutes of trying to logic my way through what my nose has long since told me.

I was going to ask about how you had it wired, but what you list matches the schematic I have perfectly (page 5-23). The mower motors & PTO should be totally separate circuit from the AllTrax so any shorts or other faults would have no impact. Actually a true short on the PTO should blow the fusible link and just shut everything down.

Hopefully someone else has more insight.

Dave & Deb wrote:
Quick review.  Everything was fine for the morning's work of hauling hay
making 8 or 9 300ft trips down the driveway with the hay and back. forward reverse, full throttle, half throttle, crawl it all worked fine
and nothing got hot.  Wired in the PTO and poof! up in smoke.  What could
be wrong?  I have wire 2 from the PTO contactor going to the main
disconnect, wire 3 & 20 from the PTO contactor going to the plug, wire 24
from the plug down to battery negative at the shunt.  Just like the
diagram provided with the alltrax and blueprint from Bill Gunn.  So
assuming that I did wire it correctly (pretty big assumption and I'll
check it again tomorrow when I'm on the farm again) could there be
something wrong with one of mower's motors??  shorted out or something????

Before I started this conversion this machine did weld the fwd/rev relay
contacts frequently.  so frequently that I put in an inline fuse to
protect it.  I was hoping to find something to explain that while removing
the old wiring and circut card but never did.

The previous owner I think had the mower motors rebuilt.  Should I take
them in to a shop and have them checked???

Any and all suggestions, comments (even wisecracks) would be gratefully
rec'd while I cry in my beer.... thanks....

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV