(ET) Laser mowers

You don't have to burn through the grass, just wilt it.
The new LED/semiconductor lasers are very efficient, and friendly to battery power. I've seen them advertised up to 60W by combining beams through optics.

With green grass, the flash vaporization of the water in the grass would probably do a good job of cutting, before the remaining material flames up. Not something you are going to use on clearing the weeds from the back 'forty', though. Unless you are fond of brush fires.

I've done some cutting of cardboard and plastics with CO2 lasers (12W), and if you keep it moving, you can avoid a flame.

Dan C.
E-15
E-10