Re: (ET) charging

On 12 Jul 2004 at 9:58, Christopher Zach wrote:

> People on the EV list strongly recommend against using the top post for
> anything other than sensor wires.

The top studs on combination posts aren't optimum, but they're not as bad
as
they're made out to be. I used them for years in a road EV with a 400 amp
controller and had no trouble at all.  I did check them when I watered the
batteries.

When you get into the 600+ amp range that many road EVs suck down these
days,
the top studs are not so good.  But they're pretty much fine for ET and
golf
car use.  If you find them convenient, go ahead and use them.   I do
recommend
using Bellville washers, or at least split lock washers, with them.

The main problem with top stud posts for the ET is that, on at least some
combinations of models and batteries, the studs won't clear the seat.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
    Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
    intelligence for long enough to get money from it.

                      -- Stephen Leacock