RE: (ET) Mower motor strength requirements

I adapted a deck motor to a 2" water pump normally powered by a B&S 3 hp.
engine at 3600 RPM several
years ago.  I measured the water lift and volume, and ran it for a number
of hours keeping track of
the duty cycle (it cycled because I was asking for more than the
continuous torque rating).  The duty
cycle was about 80%.  My calculations were between 800 and 1000 Watts
electrical, and between 700 and
900 watts mechanical for continuous use.  The only significant error was a
tiny shaft mis-alignment
which caused a pump bushing failure after a day or so, and the motor was
putting out the power to
burn the bushing too.  Pretty good.  More or less an honest 1 HP.  To give
you the contrast to a current
generation motor designed for an admittedly very short duty cycle, the
Visteon (used to be part of our
Ford group) gear drive starter motor used on most applications is 1200
Watts input for 200 seconds, a
pretty similar output but no where near continuous.  The GE has some real
ratings, but they are on Bill's
prints.  I asked once, but he didn't remember.

Larry Elie