From: "Elie, Larry (L.D.)" <lelie ford com>
To: "Elec-trak list" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 10:49 AM
Subject: RE: (ET) 48v ET

I may be wrong, but I believe the factory GE extension pack (yes, they made
one) that fit on the back of
the tractor added 2 more 6V batteries IN SERIES!  It was sold as a range
enhancer.

Someone with the range enhancer please correct me if I'm wrong; I know
someone who used to be on the list
showed one in pictures a few years ago.  He probably doesn't have anymore
time than I do to show it...

The real problem with raising the voltage is that the current goes high
(more or less constant resistance...
well, the resistance increases with temperature, the RTD effect) which
causes things to get very hot.  It's
the CURRENT that produces torque, not the voltage, but you need voltage to
get the current up.

On the side; Power rated belts are easy to come by.  Ask for 8 HP rating
for
a drive belt.

On the side2; you can get a properly rated CAP at Grainer.

Larry Elie