(ET) Re: ETs After Bill Gunn (Long)

I am a "newbie" (sort of) on this list. I was a member a few years ago, but dropped out because I didn't have time to read everything. I rejoined a few weeks ago because I have to start getting rid of some of my Elec-Trak stuff (I will post this when I get time to make a list).

I have been watching the thread about Bill Gunn going out of business with great interest, and would like to put my two cents worth into this, if I may. I own another product which has a history very similar to the Elec-Trak: it is a 1974 GMC motorhome. About 13,000 of these were built from 1973 to 1978, and about 60 to 70 % of these are still on the road.

The service and parts situation for these is very similar to what is going on with the Elec-Trak now. One company bought the replacement parts business from GMC, and can supply almost all the unique parts needed. However, the owner of the company refuses to put up a Website, which can only tend to drive newer customers away.

In addition there are at least 10 service companies across the US and Canada that service these coaches and supply various parts and modification kits. The GMC community does encourage people to buy parts from these places to keep them in business. However, their prices are often quite high, due to costs of special tooling, low volume, etc.

There is a huge volume of information available on the Web for GMC motorhomes, including complete Service Manuals in PDF format, and a parts cross-reference site (http://gmcmhparts.com), a GMCNet mailing list (like this one), plus several technical information sites which list all types of information contributed by GMC owners. Virtually any problem you can imagine has been experienced by another GMC owner, and many of these are already listed on the Tech Sites. If not, a question posted to the mailing list will get a reply from someone who has "been there, done that".

If you want to check out some of these GMC web sites, the best place to start is:

Based on my experience with the GMC motorhome community, I would suggest:

1. Some company (or person) needs to get their hands on Bill Gunn's remaining parts stock, if possible. This is already well underway on this list - you guys just keep kicking that ball around until it lands somewhere. Key issues are blueprints, Technical Manuals, and parts which are unique to the Elec-Trak. Solenoids, switches, meters, seals, etc are usually available from other suppliers - I assume this is where Bill got most of his supplies.

2. A website listing cross reference numbers for parts needs to be established. We all have (or should have) access to the GE parts list, which would be the key to the cross-reference list. It would list the GE part number (maybe NI or WH P/N?), the replacement source, and the replacement part number, plus any notes as to electrical ratings, modifications required, etc. There would need to be a simple method for submitting new entries to the listing, with a record of who submitted what, in case there is a question on how this replacement was determined.

I can understand the reluctance to do this when Bill was still in business, but now that he is quitting, it is time to get things started.

3. A web page needs to be set up with links to ALL the resources available for the Elec-Trak. This would be helpful to all of us, plus it would eliminate a lot of "newbie" questions from new owners. Case in point: someone had to ask this list where to find the archive site. This information would be listed on the "Links" page. Also, I have seen several references to
the Altrax controller, but I have no clue what this is, and unless I missed it, no one listed a website for it. I just now found http://elec-trak.org, which may have some of these links, but does it have ALL of them?.

4. A technical information site needs to be set up to post some of the more significant posts that have been on this mailing list. This could be categorized by type, such as rebuilding deck motors, adapting batteries, sheet metal care, fixing the gidgeewhockis, etc.
This would be the first place to search if one had a technical problem. It would be easier to find a specific subject than wading through every post in the archive list. Two persons are doing this for the GMC group, and I would believe this takes a lot of time to keep the site maintained. One of these sites does list an address to send contributions to help defray his costs.

I am offering these as suggestions, but like too many people who are willing to offer advice, I can't offer to set up these sites and maintain them. I am still working full time, I already maintain a website for another obsolete product, and I spend a LOT of time fixing that GMC motorhome. :>) Today is a holiday, and it is raining, which gave me the time to put this together.

Also, several times I have seen a post requesting electrical parts, but I have seen no mention of the Cole-Hersee Company (www.colehersee.com). They specialize in heavy-duty parts for trucks and ag equipment. They have high amperage disconnect switches and 36 volt solenoids, both SPST and DPDT. Also many other electrical and battery related items that could be used on the Elec-Trak. Hasn't anyone used this company for a parts source?

T'anks fer listenin'.
Post discussion to the list; send flames directly to my email address.

Erv Troyer  Lagrange, Indiana (pulling 60 behind me)
Website: members.aol.com/ervt
Two E-15s, one New Idea, one E-10M (running tractors)
plus 3 or 4 more sitting outside, plus lots of parts I inherited from a previous owner.
PS: I am not selling individual parts - when I sell it will be as a lot.