(ET) ETs After Bill Gunn

Bill's departure from the scene will be a real loss to all of us.  I
ordered from
him several times, and had conversations about continuity of the Elec-Trak
part of
his business a couple of times, probably 3-4 years ago now.

I am not prepared to just send my ET off to the scrap yard because Bill is
moving
on to (an undoubtedly well-deserved) retirement.

So, I think there are a couple of things we can do in the short term.

Following up on Ken Stieg's post, we can start a list of alternate
replacement
parts.  I had started something like this years ago, but let it slide in
favour of
directing the business to Bill.  However, with the recent news, I think
that should
be resurrected.  I think Don Barry's site (elec-trak.org) is the
appropriate place
for that, but if Don is too busy, I will take on compiling the list and
putting it
on my website.  (I may be behind the times, but I seem to recall that Don
was not
keeping up at the site - not a criticism, I'm in no position to throw
stones - just
my recollection.  I also don't know if Don would be prepared to farm out
parts of
the maintenance chores.)

The thing we will really miss will be Bill's knowledge and expertise.  I
don't
think there is any way to replace that, but as a poor substitute, we could
create a
Repair & Troubleshooting FAQ area with problems encountered and fixed
(which may
often lead us back to the various manuals - some of which are on-line now
- and
presumably more can be in the future, or the list of alternate parts
sources listed
above).  Again, I think elec-trak.org is the right place for this
information as
well.  I'm not volunteering to organize or compile this list, but if
someone else
will, and Don won't take on putting it on the web, I will take that on as
well.
Beyond that, I expect this list will end up taking up the slack, and
someone should
take on harvesting new information that appears here and adding it to the
R&T FAQs.

I have nothing to offer regarding taking over any existing inventory or
trying to
set up a co-op.  I have worked in such arrangements before, and I know
they are a
lot of work.

Better ideas and volunteers welcomed.

Darryl

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?