Re: (ET) PV powered ET

Robert:

I really recommend a 36 volt CC. I used a Solarex SC-12, which can be configured for 36 volts but it requires a bit of soldering.

I believe Outback power makes a CC that can be set for 36 volts easily. I would strongly recommend that for two reasons:

1) If one of the panels generates more current than the other two you wind up with unbalanced batteries

2) Charge controllers take some of the power. Better one than two.

If you're going with 120 watt panel jumpered for 24 volts then get a single 60 watt panel to put in series for 36 volts. Otherwise get three 120 watt panels, set them each for 12 volts, then put them in series.

It's a great way to charge your ET, and you really don't need the on-board charger much. I'm thinking of pulling mine out and putting a 120 volt inverter in there instead.

Chris

robert winfield wrote:

I have an E-12.
I am trying to figure how to use photovoltaics to
charge the batteries. I had this discussion before but
the info has vanished (sorry Chris)
Can I use a 12 and/or 24v charge controller and clip
it on either 2 or 4 of the batteries.
The PV I am looking at puts out probably 120 watts
depending on how configured I can series them to get
12v or 24v or 36v and 1/2 or 1/3 the amps
12v@10amp or 36v@3.3amp.
I would also like to yank the battery charger out for
more room or shoehorn bigger batteries.
basically advice:
2 charge controllers, 1@12v and 1@24v jumpered across
2 or 4 batteries
could i use 1 24v and have the electrons wander
towards the 2 batteries not in that circuit)

1 charge controller @36v (and where to find one??)
comments?