Re: (ET) Nope, that wasn't it...

Chris,
Two of the list of things that kill brushes, are water and oil.
If the armature laminations are rusted it was water, makes them swell,
cuts right into the
wiring. The moisture is a normal result of putting the mower away hot or
cleaning it with a garden hose.
As it cools it sucks the water into the motor case.
Also attacks the magnets, they swell and crack.
Oil damage would be all over the brush holders, probably from the top
bearing.
The new brushes I have are 7/8 inch long. Not as smeary as the old ones.
The white metal, the copper leads, that plastic that the brush holders
are made of, makes a
good soup for corrosion.
I sealed the last mower motors I rebuilt  with paint and silicone RTV.
Time will tell if it was a smart decision.

Mike D