(ET) Spam problems

It's off topic - related to this list and not the ET - so I hope you all
will
forgive me for bringing it up this way.

Not everyone here may know that there is an archive for this list.  It's
located at :

http://cosmos2.phy.tufts.edu/mhonarc/elec-trak/

It starts in 1998 and goes right up to the present day.

This is a good thing, because it means that if you remember seeing
someone's
post but not what it said, you have a searchable archive.

It's also a bad thing, because all of our email addresses are right out in
plain sight, for the spammers to harvest.

And harvest they do.  I've been getting spam on an address I used just a
couple of times to post to this list, so I ran a web search on the
address.
The above archive was the only bona fide hit.  It's possible that the
spammers
got it somewhere else, but web searchbots looking for
"something somewhere foo" are still a widely used method of adding to the
millions of addresses the spammers already have.

Mhonarc, the utility which compiles the ET archive, has a built in option
obfuscate email addresses.  I'd like to ask whomever has some measure of
control over the archive to arrange for that option to be applied.

Also, a sed script could easily be run on the existing entries (maybe
overnight) to convert all instances of "@" to something like "NOSPAM."

Any chance of getting this done?  Otherwise I'll have to start posting
from an
address that forwards all replies to the bit bucket, which will make
things
inconvenient for all concerned.

Thanks for your patience with this post.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!],
"Pray, Mr.  Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?"  I am not able rightly to apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

                               -- Charles Babbage