Re: (ET) Education...

Wow, echoes my feelings exactly. The fact that my tractor was partially required and "improved" by the PO doesn't help. Even tho my E15 currently works fine (knock on wood) I'm getting an AllTrax this spring as part of my refurbishment project.

One of the listees mentioned a flat "european automitve" battery that would fit under the hood. Any additional info on that like what application it was used for, models and years?  I picked up a 36V - 12V converter off eBay and I want to use that to charge the battery and the battery to handle the load of lights and a 12V winch to replace the lift.

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

Fixinguys aol com
Sent by: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu

04/07/2004 02:55 PM

elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
cc
Subject
(ET) Education...

Hey, folks,
In my line of work, I'm frequently required to memorize simplified fuel, hydraulic and electrical schematics, but everything is reduced to laymens terms.
I'm looking at the e15 schematic as I write this and have to admit that I have no idea what they mean.  What the heck is an "FU-3" or a "vdr-1"?!  I know that most of you think that these things are simple, but I think you're speaking from a relative position.  I don't even know what a field is or why in the world we would want to weaken it.  I find that when I get the schematic out and try to relate it to what I see under the hood, after a while I have a tendency to close the hood, the book, and my mind and go work on something I know.  And I'll have you know, I'm considered to be pretty dang handy by some!
I guess I need a text book to learn how to read these things, and I've even ordered a couple of educational electronics kits for my kids that are secretly also for me.  But I still need photographs, or a 3 dimensional diagram to relate to the tractor itself.  I can't keep calling Bill and wasting his time trying to teach me how to find/fix the problem.  And frankly, your guy's conversations sail so far over my head sometimes, I don't even look up!  Don't get me wrong, by just reading what you guys write I'm learning a lot, and I really appreciate the usefulness of this site, but I can empathize with those who just want a magic box to replace what to many of us is a bewildering, tangled up mess.
Does anyone have any suggestions for us visual learners?  Lots of pictures, video, hands on, etc.?
Thanks!
SteveA
e15