(ET) Education...

Hey, folks,
In my line of work, I'm frequently required to memorize simplified fuel, hydraulic and electrical schematics, but everything is reduced to laymens terms.
I'm looking at the e15 schematic as I write this and have to admit that I have no idea what they mean.  What the heck is an "FU-3" or a "vdr-1"?!  I know that most of you think that these things are simple, but I think you're speaking from a relative position.  I don't even know what a field is or why in the world we would want to weaken it.  I find that when I get the schematic out and try to relate it to what I see under the hood, after a while I have a tendency to close the hood, the book, and my mind and go work on something I know.  And I'll have you know, I'm considered to be pretty dang handy by some!
I guess I need a text book to learn how to read these things, and I've even ordered a couple of educational electronics kits for my kids that are secretly also for me.  But I still need photographs, or a 3 dimensional diagram to relate to the tractor itself.  I can't keep calling Bill and wasting his time trying to teach me how to find/fix the problem.  And frankly, your guy's conversations sail so far over my head sometimes, I don't even look up!  Don't get me wrong, by just reading what you guys write I'm learning a lot, and I really appreciate the usefulness of this site, but I can empathize with those who just want a magic box to replace what to many of us is a bewildering, tangled up mess.
Does anyone have any suggestions for us visual learners?  Lots of pictures, video, hands on, etc.?
Thanks!
SteveA
e15