(ET) RE: Elec-trak Digest, Vol 2, Issue 97

Battery Choices Forced:  I did a really stupid thing the other night.
Used my very robust 0-150VDC Army issue battery charger to do a "gassing"
charge to the Die Hard GC2 Golf Car batteries in my Wheel Horse C-185 (AKA
Elec Trak E-20) tractor.  These batteries had been grossly neglected (left
to sit for two years with maybe a 10% charge on them).  I topped off cells
with a combination of Distilled water and EDTA (a heavy metal chelating
compound that reduces the strength between the lead sulfate and lead
sulfide plates causing  the sulfates to fall free of the plates).  I was
truly amazed that before the EDTA I could run the tractor about ten
minutes of mowing before it became so sluggish it barely got back to the
garage.  After the EDTA was added and the batteries run through a couple
of cycles, the tractor would run for an hour.  That's where I made my
mistake.  Got a little cocky with my little knowledge and tried to do a
"gassing" charge.  The onboard charger puts out around
42vdc.  I used my super duper Army charger and cranked up the voltage to
around 50vdc (4-6 amps I think).  You could here the electrolyte bubbling
away.  I figured the cap vents would take care of any pressure buildup.
BOY WAS I MISTAKEN.  There was a LOUD report, a brief flash of light and I
was done!  Seems that I forgot the part about cracking open/removing the
plugs.  The internal pressure cracked the top of one of the batteries half
way around the top of the case.  Needless to say I shut everything down in
a hurry.  Spent the next half hour decontaminating the area with baking
soda and water.  Amazingly enough there wasn't a whole lot of acid sprayed
about.

So now I've got a set of 5-6vdc lead acid GC2 batteries with a little life
left in them.  I figure that just adding a new 6vdc battery is not going
to be the best move here.

So now that I've finished practicing for my Mad Scientist merit badge I
post this question:  What batteries do you recommend I replace them with.
A friend at the local golf course can probably get me a new set of Trojan
T-105's at cost.  I'm leaning that way but wonder if now would be a good
time to consider other types?

Bob Klein
Charlestown, RI
WH C-185