From: Chapin, Tim [mailto:tchapin umich edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 1:42 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: RE: (ET) Re: new electrics

Because Electric Ox has the large tractor area covered (also high price
covered), I think the focus should be for the small yard person.  Something
like the john Deere e90 size.  Small rear engine mower with good turning
radius, fixed engine speed and belt drive deck.  With something like that
you cut down on cost and open up the majority of the machine to parts that
are already available for the ice counterpart. The fixed speed engine will
eliminate the controller issues leaving only a good hands off charging
system to deal with (sealed batteries).  You could use the multi speed
friction disk trans like the snapper to get variable speeds.   Basically
take the snapper rear engine rider, stripe the ice, install appropriate
electric motor and batteries.  Use an off-board charging system so you
don't
deal with crude and mice getting into the charger.  Yes, you will not be
plowing, blowing snow or pulling heavy loads, but you will have a low cost,
low maintaince, quite mower for someone with a yard to big for a push
mower.