RE: (ET) New guy in town...

I agree with most points, except the refueling infrastructure. The
current infrastructure is more advantageous to the ET. You can't
drive your tractor to the gas station, therefore you need to plan
a special trip to go get the gas, which poses a danger from spark
ignition. Then you need to manually pour the gas into the tank of
your tractor, which most people do while it is still hot, posing a
heat ignition danger. The ET is simple, plug it in. Period. The
fuel is delivered from the point of generation right into the
tractor, almost a perfect infrastructure.

 I use a Landis controller, so my tractor is nearly fool proof,
just plug it in and walk away. One day my wife mowed the lawn, I
reminded her to remember to plug the tractor in when she got done,
because it is bad for the batteries to sit discharged. She said
OK. She did plug the tractor in when she got done, however I
forgot to tell her to set the timer. Now I have a Landis, problem
solved.  The manual for the tractor says the charger will go from
empty to 95% in about 5 hours, the other 12 or so hours are for
the finish charge. I don't beleive a finish charge is required
every cycle, especially with a Landis, it comes on every once in
awhile and charges for 5 mins and then shuts off. How long does a
battery have to sit at 95-99% of charge before sulfation starts,
or is positive grid corrosion a better alternative?

I have posted before about bypassing the Landis, but I have found
recently  that that is not necessary. I went out a 10pm and plowed
my driveway, takes about an hour, so I figure that the batteries
are pretty much drained. Plug it in, come out at 7AM, and plow
again, (Lake effect snow all night, 1.5-2 inches per hour, 64
inches over a 3 day period). The batteries handled the job. and
did it again and again for those 3 days. In my mind the Landis
Controller is the best investment I have made yet. other than the
ET itself :)

I really think that if someone could build a tractor with modern
controls (both machine and charge) and ask ~$3500. sold through
Lowes or HD or Sams Club (a great source for batteries) then they
would have a hard time keeping up with demand.

Sorry I didn't mean to get off on a bunch of varying subjects......

Stay Charged!
Hump

The pressure
>of economies of scale in gas engine production (as Jeremy says)
permit them