RE: (ET) New guy in town...

I would agree that the ET is simple to fuel, but then, so is a gas tractor
-
just get a can for the gas!  However, plugging in the ET should be a plus,
not a minus.

I think the real "infrastructure" problem with the ET was the dealer
network.  It is electric, which is a technology that tractor dealers simply
did not know in 1960, nor do they understand it today.  Most small engine
and tractor dealers can pretty much fix anything with a gas or diesel
engine, but a golf-cart-like drive system?  Too difficult.  I find the
"Owner's Service Manual" can be used to diagnose 99% of the issues with
simple tools and instruments, but very few tractor dealers would invest in
the labor skills necessary to deal with a foreign technology.

On the other hand, golf cart dealers should be able to service the ET, a
very similar technology to that employed by electric golf carts.  However,
golf cart dealers don't really do a "retail" business, dealing mostly with
fleets of carts at clubs.  I had a golf cart dealer right down the road
from
me (I got a couple of sets of excellent used batteries there), and I never
saw a retail customer in his yard.  When you think "lawn tractor", you
think
Sears, Bolens, Toro, Home Depot, but not "the guy 50 miles away who sells
golf carts."

In other words, GE had a big marketing problem.  One of my tractors, an
E-15
was originally sold through a commercial turf equipment dealer who did some
retail business too.  He's still in business, but only sold GE stuff for a
couple of years.  It was too complex to handle repairs (yup - I interviewed
him when looking for parts on day).  The other one I got very cheap (very
second hand) because the owner couldn't find an individual or dealer that
would take it in trade for anything.  Everyone was scared of the
technology.
It was in excellent condition, and with a change pf batteries, I have used
it to cut my lawn for 5 years without any repairs whatsoever - well, I did
replace the brake pad (of course!)

I think that until pollution control laws for small engines come in to
being
(the EPA will be on it soon), gas holds an edge in the marketplace.  But if
we have small gas engines that require frequent or expensive services,
like,
for example, replacement of fuel injection computers, then ETs will begin
look very serviceable indeed.  By the way, there are a number of Electronic
Fuel Injection systems already employed in 2 cycle snowmobile engines, and
they aren't cheap or easy to service.  As servicing gas engines becomes
more
expensive, the higher "front end" costs of an ET will be offset by lower
operating costs.  In addition, dealers will have to pay for additional
training for service technicians for the more complex gas engines, so
perhaps electric tractors will begin to find a real market.

Thanks for letting me expound!