Re: (ET) Snow, version 1.1

I totally agree.  Unless you have fresh snow tires, you will eventually get stuck without chains.  It is not when you are being careful, its when something happens that you don't expect.  I have a somewhat level drive, but with the blower on the front, if a back wheel rolls of the edge of the pavement you are stuck.  With chains you can rock back and forth and get out.  I do not use extra weight.  This machine is so much better than my old gas tractor with weight, I don't bother.
Rob NH

"David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <roden ald net> wrote:
On 25 Jan 2004 at 22:26, Chris Zach wrote:

> I think at this point the biggest mistake I could make would be to pack
> the snow down. At this temp, it would be ice and that would end the
> tractor's traction.

You need chains. My driveway is sloped (a small part of it somewhat steeply)
and I discovered the first time I tried to plow that I had to have them,
period. They make all the difference.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
All we learn from history is history repeats.

-- Andrew Ratshin