(ET) pack not isolated from frame??

I was working on my modified E15 (?) today, and while loosening a
connection on
one the cable connections I grounded to the body with the wrench and got
an
ugly juicy spark.  That doubly surprised me because I am always careful
around
battery terminals and potential grounds but also because I thought that if
the
pack was not grounded to the frame you wouldn't/shouldn't get current
flow??

So what gives here am I under a mis-impression and showing my ignorance or
do I
have a ground somewhere that I shouldn't have??

Also since this tractor has been modified by the previous owner I don't
really
know what model it is.  My E12S has the PTO plug up front on the left.
This
one has the PTO plug down by my right foot.  Would this be an E15 or E20
or???

thanks much,
dave
Seattle