(ET) Weight and the snowthrower

Ok, so I put on the back box and loaded it with six 25lb Hawker Genesis batteries (not charged). This seems to make the steering a bit easier with the blower on the ground and definately makes a difference with traction. I might make a wood platform to go between the box and the tractor and add a pair of 60lb batteries as well.

That said, *how* does the crank mount? I tried putting it on the side by the foward/reverse switch but the rod is simply too short. Is it supposed to telescope, and if so how (it doesn't want to move in or out). Or am I doing something else wrong here?

Also how do you take the chute off the body? I'd like to put some molly grease in there to help it rotate more smoothly.

It doesn't seem to blow the snow too far; in fact a lot just lands on the housing itself. Then again I am tring to blow less than a half an inch of snow right now; does it get better as it's more full?

I assume Bill sells the bottom "scraper" for the plow as well as the skids, correct?

Snow coming tonight. Wish I had a set of chains; hope the weight is enough to do the job.

Thanks!
Chris