From: Max Hall [mailto:maxo iname com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 3:24 PM
To: Elec-trak
Subject: (ET) plow vs thrower

Hi, all,

man, what a great series of posts on batteries, charging, and temperature. I'm sure a lot of you are typing or reading the same things over by now, but I just keep on soaking up them good data. I'm humbled and happy to be on the list, as ever.

I have worked hard to keep my snowthrower throwing over the last couple of years, and am, by and large, very, very happy to have the thing. I doooo wonder, though, about the simple efficacy of a plow blade. Up here near Boston, we get light fluffy snow from time to time (more rare) and that is a dream to throw. (Thanks to the cold weather we had about 3" of the lightest stuff you've ever seen. It seemed like Utah, or fake snow from the movies. I got to run the tractor at its highest speed while throwing snow without taking the current draw gauge into the yellow. Unprecedented for me.) Mostly we get wet heavy stuff, though, and I have worked hard on my dynamic speed-tuning snowthrowing technique to avoid clogging. And it still clogs, despite waxes, paints, Pam, lucky charms, etc.

Someone just posted about trying a plow and never going back... So how about plows and heavy snow? Particularly, how deep a wet snow can you plow?

Mid-winter and grinnin'
-Max