From: "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <roden ald net>
To: "Gordon Trump" <trumpgordon adelphia net>;
<elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) hybrid ET

On 6 Dec 2003 at 12:24, Gordon Trump wrote:

> Part of the downside of ElecTrak is moving the
> pollution back to the (coal burning?) power plant and it's 35% efficiency
> while we benefit from cleanliness in our yards.

This is an old myth used to dismiss EVs as impractical.  Here's an analysis
which debunks it:

http://www.evadc.org/pwrplnt.pdf

In case you can't read the pdf format of the above, I've inserted a plain
text
version below (sorry about the tables).  View with a monospaced font for a
slight chance at reading the tables.

Even if you disagree with the analysis below, remember that the situation
for
the ET versus a gas or diesel tractor is dramatically different from the
one
cited here.  In this study Chip is comparing road EVs with road ICEs, with
(mostly) efficient emissions control hardware reducing their emissions by
percentages in the 90s (at least when they are new and when the drivers
aren't
flooring the pedal).

But the ICEs used in garden tractors have primitive emission control
systems
at best.  They produce far, far more emissions than automobiles.  There is
NO
WAY that a powerplant generating the electricity for our ETs puts out
anywhere
NEAR the amount of garbage that a gas or diesel garden tractor spews into
the
air.

What's more, if you charge at night, you're using idle powerplant capacity,
at
a time when their systems are running below peak efficiency.   You could
argue
in fact that charging your ET at night actually ^improves^ your local power
plant's efficiency.  This makes its emissions reduction even ^more^
significant.

There are places where a gas or diesel tractor may meet individual needs
better than an ET.  Each user has to make an informed decision about what
use when.  But don't rationalize using gas or diesel tractors by thinking
that
ETs just move the pollution to the power plant.  It isn't so.  Fueled
tractors
are MUCH more harmful to the air than your ET.

= = = = =

Debunking the Myth of EVs and Smokestacks

by Chip Gribben

Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, D.C. (EVA/DC)

Introduction

As ozone levels in the U.S. remain at unhealthy levels, researchers and
government officials continue to study alternatives to reduce air pollution
from gasoline-powered cars. Among the alternatives are ultra-low emission
vehicles (ULEVs) and zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs). ULEVs are equipped with
emission controls that release only 45 pounds of carbon monoxide per 12,000
miles.1 ZEVs produce no tailpipe emissions at all. ZEVs include vehicles