(ET) Ralph's LEDs

Mr. Vogan,

   Many thanks for the link to www.superbrightleds.com !   I think this is a great idea.  For those who want to make their own ganged LED clusters, but aren't sure how to size the current limiting resistors for LED circuits, perhaps these few thoughts and comments may be useful:

1)  LEDs are indeed a diode.   If they go into the circuit backwards (reverse biased) they won't light up.  To install them properly, the anode (+ terminal) should be connected to the + side of the battery pack.  The kathode (- terminal) should be attached to the current-limiting resistor, and the other end of the resistor goes to the negative side of the battery pack.  Typically, the Anode is the long leg of the LED, and the kathode is the short leg.

2)  LEDs (like all diodes) have a fixed forward voltage drop, regardless of the total voltage of the circuit they're installed in.  To find the exact forward voltage drop of the LED (Vf) you need to read the specs on the package.   However, it's almost always somewhere in a range from 1.2V to 2.0V.

3)  LEDs also have a definite current they are rated at.   At lower currents they will still light up, just not as brightly.   At higher currents they will also light up, and then burn out (or blow up) depending on how high the current is.   Typical LEDs are rated for about 20mA (.02A) of current.  The purpose of the current-limiting resistor is (as the name implies) to limit the current to 20 mA.

4)  LEDs can be connected in series, anode to kathode, anode to kathode, etc.   When series connected, their foward voltage drops are added together, and the string is treated like a single component needing only a single current-limiting resistor.

5)  LEDs can also be connected in parallel by tying all the anodes together.   In this case, each LED needs it own current-limiting resistor.

6)  To find the value of the current limiting resistor, first subtract the forward voltage drop of the LED from the total circuit voltage.   The difference will be the voltage drop on the resistor.   Then, keeping in mind that you want this resistor to limit current flow to 20 mA (.02A), just use Ohm's law to solve for the resistor value...R = E/I.

Example:  A single LED in a 36V circuit...36V(source) - 2V(LED drop) = 34V (resistor drop)...R = E/I = 34V/.02A = 1,700 ohms (or as close to that as you can get.

Example:  Six LEDs connected in parallel in a 36V circuit...this is exactly the same problem as the first example, except all six LEDs will need their own 1,700 ohm resistor (or, again, as close as you can get to that).

Example:  Six LEDs connected in series in a 36V circuit...LED drop = 6 x 2V = 12V...36V (source) - 12V (LED drop) = 24V (resistor drop)...R = E/I = 24V/.02A = 1,200 ohms (1.2Kohms)...a single 1.2Kohm resistor is all that's needed.

   Thanks again, Ralph.   I'm definitely putting LEDs in my E-16.

Tim Wilhelm