Re: (ET) Ralph's LEDs

I recently read something fascinating about LEDs.  Have you noticed how
intense the new LED traffic signals appear?  (At night some are so bright
that the green ones actually are almost painful to view.)

This is how it's done.  The LEDs are driven by a pulsed waveform.  The on
current is TEN TIMES their rating, but the duty cycle is only 10% - that
is,
on (for example) on 1 picosecond, off 9 picoseconds, repeat.  Thanks to
persistence of vision, the human eye sees the peak intensity as continuous
high intensity; but the LED "feels" the average current, which is just its
normal rated current.

I'm sure the same thing could be done with automotive signals (if it isn't
already).

Clever, no?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.

                               -- Johnny Hart