RE: (ET) Weight boxes

I have loaded tires, but still wanted more weight on the rear with the
snowblower on, so I added the batteries. I should weigh my tires to see
what the weight is, I would guess 50-60 pounds.

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

|---------+-------------------------------------->
|         |           "Pieter Litchfield"        |
|         |           <plitch attglobal net>     |
|         |           Sent by:                   |
|         |           elec-trak-bounces cosmos ph|
|         |           y.tufts.edu                |
|         |                                      |
|         |                                      |
|         |           10/24/2003 02:33 PM        |
|         |                                      |
|---------+-------------------------------------->

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |        To:      "Discussion List Electrac tractor" <elec-trak cosmos
phy tufts edu>                     |
  |        cc:
                                 |
  |        Subject: RE: (ET) Weight boxes
                                 |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Mine, I think, is a standard one. I pile cement blocks in it.  Mine has the
"bayonets" on the front edge that slide into the frame edge just like the
mower bumper does on the front.  The prior owner made a hitch extension
that
makes it easy to fasten the weight box - it just pins to the original tow
bar with a pin and has a short shaft welded to the bottom frame that has a
hitch hole just behind the weight box.  Neat.

I use mine with a loader which when full can about lift the rear end off
the
ground without a weight box attached.  I probably have 200 lbs of blocks in
it and I use tire chains too.  Still get a little wheel spin sometimes.

I theorize that wheel weights might be better than a weight box.  The
center
of gravity of the additional weight is at axle height rather than above it,
and there is no additional load on the wheel bearings and axle since wheel
weights are "unsuspended" weight.  I should probably use both a box and
wheel weights.  Maybe I'll look into that.