Re: (ET) Gator Blades

----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Woods <barry woods wright edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:42:38 -0400
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Removing Front Panel

> Hey Gang,
>
> Just an update on the use of the GatorBlades in the Elec-Trak deck.
> Just to
> refresh your memories, Steve S. custom made some bushings so the
> Gatorblades
> fit perfectly and also customized an ammeter.
>
> Overall,
>
> Appearance of lawn       Regular Elec-Trak blades:  C to C-
> Gatorblades:  B (definite improvement!)
>
> Mulching ability:             Regular Elec-Trak blades:  D
> Gatorblades:  B-
>
> Current Draw:               Regular Elec-Trak blades:  6.5A avg
> Gatorblades:  11 - 12.5A avg
>

> In general the Gatorblades outdid the stock blades in everyway.
> However, I
> still have uncut grass when turning, so this must be a deck problem
> versus a
> blade problem.  The motors never overheated or cut out and I've mowed wet
> and dry
> grass.  Mowing time per charge is quite a bit less due to the high
> current
> draw.
>
> As far as mulching, there are visible clippings but they are distributed
> evenly and are short so they're not very noticeable.  If I  go over the
> lawn
> twice, clippings disappear entirely.
>
> The best part is the sound.  They give an impressive, loud, throaty,
> powerful, sound (the type Tim the Toolman would like) which helps cover
> up
> the embarrassing whine from the differential.
>
> Keep in mind I have no baffles and the clippings are free to exit the
> rear
> or the side discharge chute so there is no back pressure.  If I remember
> right,Eric had problems with his motors overheating and cutting out and
> this
> may have been due to the baffling.  Anyway, I think the Gatorblades are
> great providing you take your baffles off and you can live with the
> reduced
> mowing time on a charge.
>

> Barry

Barry;

 You say you have no baffles and your clippings are free to exit all in
one sentence.
Are you under the assumption that the baffles we talk about is the rubber
strip across the back of the deck? They're not. They are 3 steel plates
that wrap around the blades inside the deck, basically forming three
separate decks. But the blades hang lower than the baffles so they don't
contact, and are opened at the back. So, they form three horseshoe shapes.

 I don't have the strip across the back installed on my deck and my grass
is also free to exit, but not from the side. The new deck has no provision
for side discharge. My lawn gives the appearance of having been cut with a
reel mower and NOT bagged. i.e. no windrows!

Stay Charged!

Hump

--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup