RE: (ET) Large Frame Mower Deck

I've not yet used my mower but this discussion has been interesting and
good
for my future reference.

so I am left with 2 dumb questions:
  1.  if the blades overlap how come they don't collide with one another?
  2.  I haven't lookd closely but are the blades only sharpened on about
the
outside 3 inches or so?  and if so how is that the inner 10 or 11 inches
of
blade cut?

Like I said dumb questions but I was raised using a push reel mower.  My
father
also claimed they did a better job and would have nothing to do with a
rotary
mower because they hacked the grass rather than cut it.  Fortunately for
me we
lived in the city with a small lot and not much lawn.

dave
Seattle
E12S
E15mod

evenly
distributed.

> 3) With or without baffles?
>
> I never made it cut right (for a factory deck) without baffles.
>
> 4) What is cut height (number of spacers below front wheel caster
> bearing)?
>
> It depends on what height you want.  I use 3 or 4 spacers below the
> caster.
>
> 5)  What numbers and/or text appears on the deck nameplate?
>
> Now you're meddling.  No, I have used at least 3 types of deck, and they
> all
can be made
to cut well.

> 6) Is deck OEM?
>
> Yes.
>
> 7) If it came with the ET, what is ET s/n?
>
> Ditto 5; it shouldn't matter.  E12/E15.
>

> First, check to see if the blades are turning the right way!
>
> Second, keep the INSIDE OF THE DECK CLEAN!  Don't try and mow 'damp'
> grass.
If you have
too, that's fine,
> but don't expect it to look good.  It sticks in the deck and overloads
> the
motors.  The
blades turn slow
> and it doesn't cut.  I use a 3 fingered weeder to scrape off any grass
thicker than 3/4"
on the inside of
> the deck.
>
> Third, sharpen the blades, ESPECIALLY THE OUTSIDE 3" and the tip.  If
> the tip
isn't sharp
and square, you
> will leave the strips.  This isn't unique to the GE; I have seen it on
> Bolens
and Sears
decks too.  It IS
> more pronounced as the GE tip speed is slower than on many other decks;
> it
isn't the RPM
that cuts, it's
> the linear speed; a longer blade is turning faster.
>
> Fourth, are use using the SAME types of blades?  The 'lift' blade has
> more
bend.  I have
used them, but am
> not at the moment.  I'm not sure, but I think they were standard on the
side-discharge
deck.  Either will
> work, but your ground speed will be different.
>
> Fifth, is the deck LEVEL?  Front to back very important.
>
> Sixth, with rear discharge you want the rubber boot to spread the
> clippings
more
uniformly.

> Seventh, when the blade is worn to the width of a butcher knife, replace
> it.
>
> LAST, and most common mistake; don't expect it to mow if you can hear
> the
blades slowing!
The GE mows at
> about 3,000 RPM as I recall.  With a radius of 7.25" or so, that's a tip
speed of 127 MPH.
 Sound good?
> A Bolens 20 HP with 19" blades cuts at 3600 RPM; that's 203 MPH.  Don't
> get
me wrong;
anything like 100 MPH
> will cut fine, a reel mower is cutting in the 10's of MPH, and it works
> ON A
LITTLE GRASS
AT A TIME!  The
> problem is that a gas tractor like a Bolens or a John Deere uses a
> governor
to control the
engine speed;
> more grass and the RPM doesn't droop too much.  The GE gets more load
> and the
current can
go way up to
> add power, but the RPM drops off REAL FAST.  You have all heard it.
> When the
roar stops
you aren't cutting
> well.  Go slower.  Or raise the deck and go slow too.  If you're
> re-cutting,
wait a day
and let the grass
> dry out so it doesn't plug the deck.  If you don't do this you will
> ALWAYS
LEAVE TWO
STRIPS OF GRASS!

> If you do it right, you can cut as good as anyone.  My nephew has a 14.5
> HP
Sears, and I
cut along with
> him at times.  I can leave the grass looking SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than
> he can
when cutting
more than an