(ET) Large Frame Mower Deck

There was some good discussion of different variables that effect the cut quality back in May. I wanted to share my experience with an original equipment as manufactured (OEM) mower deck on my E-15. I did not know that baffles originally came with the deck and used it for a year without them. The grass was being passed across the deck from left to right and mulched as a result. It cut pretty well but I chose to overlap each cut by half the deck (so the entire lawn gets cut twice). The overlap was necessary because there were two strips of grass remaining on the first cut from between the blades. I was doing all of the cutting in forward and only reversing to maneuver. I saw postings on this list by people saying their deck cut better in reverse. I tried it and it made no difference. That was my first season with the ET.

Skip ahead to this spring when I decided to do some maintenance on the deck. Sharpened and balanced the blades while electric motor shop replaced bearings on motors. Put new rollers on front and back. Then I discovered that baffles were part of the original equipment. Got Bill Gunn on the phone and, since the deck lacks a nameplate, he helped me identify it by my answers to several of his questions. He told me it was one of the earlier decks and the baffle assembly 521479 was ordered. (Apparently there are several different baffle assemblies for the old decks.) Once received, it was installed according to the drawings posted on the ET website. Now I know why everyone is complaining. When cutting in forward all the time (like last season) the grass gets cut once and is dropped in big clumps all over the yard. The only way I can now get a decent cut is to go over it the first time in forward and then again in reverse. The overall requirement is still cutting the whole yard twice. But since I was used to cutting it all in forward, I'm not sure yet if I will continue as it is or revert back to baffleless operation.

So now to a question:
Does anyone out there use a large frame deck to successfully cut the lawn in only one cut?

And a survey:
Can all those with large frame mowers tell me: 1) How many cuts does it take to do your lawn? 2) With or without baffles? 3) What numbers and/or text appears on the deck nameplate? 4) Is deck OEM? 5) If it came with the ET, what is ET s/n?

I will compile the results and report them to the list once the replies quit coming. Please participate. I believe that there is significant potential for discovery here.

Thanks,
Andy
Roanoke, VA