Re: (ET) mower deck questions

Jim,

As to the first 2 questions:

I am not sure what the sleeves look like because my deck didn't come with
them when I got it.  I found out after about 2 years of using the deck
without them that they are very necessary.  I happened to look down one
day and saw that the point of contact between the deck arms and the front
mower guide was in bad shape.  Actually, the rubbing action had worn the
right guide arm down to the point of almost getting through the thickness
of the arm's steel and piercing it through.  The left arm wasn't as bad,
but that is probably due to my turning pattern - tend to mow counter
clockwise most of the time.  The guide was also worn by 1/3 to 1/2 of its
original diameter.  Since my wife does most of the mowing, I didn't notice
it till it was almost too late.  Anyway, I couldn't figure out why that
happened, but I didn't know until recently that there was supposed to be
some sort of protector sleeve.  I came up with my own solution before I
found out, and it is very simple and probably much cheaper than purchasing
them from Bill (I have bought a LOT of stuff from Bill, so don't think I
am knocking him). Just cut 2 pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe about 12-18" long
and slip them over the deck arms.  They don't need any securing, because
the weight of them keep them from moving up the arms at all. This approach
probably doesn't look as good as the originals, I'm sure, but from what I
can tell by the way they are wearing, they will last a long, long time -
plus, they can be replaced in a moment's notice if necessary!

The retaining rings you mention are for keeping the mower arm wear sleeves
in place.  According to the mower manual, they are supposed to be
installed 1/2" from the lower end of the main tube of the arm.

Can't help you with the 3rd question - sorry!

Hope this helps,
Don Cohen