RE: (ET) mower deck questions-- Simple customizations!

OK, so I've had a few decks.  I think now is a good time to mention a
simple and USEFUL customization!

The deck is heavy.  Sure, the springs and the lift CAN lift it, but would
you like a simple improvement?
No wiring necessary, and the lift will work better too.

The normal way of positioning the lift strap is fine but marginal.  If you
look at the page SteveS pointed us
to with the manual, looking at Figure 4, you have the normal webbing
mount.  If you go down to a good hardware
(finding a good hardware is probably the handiest ET thing you can do) you
can buy a 5/16" x 2" long hitch pin
with a small head.  You can also get a 5/16" ID x 1" bronze bushing, and a
couple of 5/16" ID by small OD stainless flat washers.  You also need a
5/16" x 1-1/2" stainless bolt and locking nut.  Replace the old
pin/bolt on the deck with the new hitch pin, using the bronze bushing and
2 stainless washers and pass the
lift strap UNDER the bushing doubling back up to the lift bracket.  Use
another hole on the tractor lift
bracket to mount the new stainless bolt in the loop of the lift strap.
You have just made a "poor-man's"
block and tackle.  This is much the way the tiller lift is set up, and it
works very well.  If the old lift
procedure lifted say 150 lbs. 6" in 10 seconds, the new will use 12" of
strap to lift the same 150 lbs in 20
seconds; you are lifting a LITTLE slower, but you won't really notice.  To
be honest, the only down side I
know is that you may have the lift power to pull the lift pin right off
the deck if it's too rusty.  If you
are real ambitious, you could add a SECOND pulley on the lift bracket of
the tractor and add another mount
to the deck and you will lift easier still.

Another customization?  Why not?

I have strawberries.  I have weeds.  The weeds are taller than the
strawberries, but the deck won't lift
high enough to clear the strawberries and just cut the weeds.  A simple
fix is to remove the black bumper
(you gain about an inch and a quarter) but that might not be enough.  What
to do?  Well, how about
LENGTHENING the 2 arms?  All you have to do is remove the two roll pins
(may be rusty.... and you have to
compress the springs to do this...) and add another section of rod and
tube.  Again, you need a good hardware
store.  About 10" longer arms and now you can raise that deck a FOOT!
What about the lift?  You need to
lengthen the lift bracket 8" or 10" with another bracket.  Beware!  the
lift position of the deck is tricky
or you will tip the deck at an angle.  It is also much more dangerous to
hands and feet.  The casters will
be nowhere the ground, so if the thing hits a hole it WILL tip.

Larry Elie