Re: (ET) New 'almost failure' mode... Motor power, etc.

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:01:53 -0400 , "Elie, Larry (L.D.)" wrote:
> OK, a new 'almost' failure mode.
>
> I have been working on ET's for 7 or 8 years now.  I thought I had 'seen
> it
> all' (well, I knew better I guess...) but here's a new one:
>
> I go out to mow.  I go to lower the front lift and it doesn't go down.  I
> check the fuse socket (they get rusty... very common) but that isn't it.
> Hmm.  I start looking around.  I go to trace the wire to the lift
> and... huh?  The wire isn't on the back battery!  When set up right, the
> lift goes to a terminal on the back
> set under the seat, front battery on the right.  The terminal has MELTED.
> The wire fell off.  The tractor is STILL RUNNING.  The cable stayed in
> the
> pile of lead that was the terminal.  I had been tilling, and I
> suspect the connection was very loose.  I got hot, but kept working.  It
> melted but kept working.  I touch
> the lift wire to the terminal and it still goes up and down.  The battery
> still tests good.  I'm going to
> try and make a more rugged connection to what's left of the terminal.

I've had a post melt.  When I discovered it, I decided to check all the
wires.
I found a battery cable under the chassis that had come loose and rubbed
raw by
the drive belt.  I suspect the cable touched metal and created a short that
melted the terminal.  I also noticed a small wire crunched by the steering
gear.

 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com
 http://Jeremy.Gagliardi.com