Re: (ET) New 'almost failure' mode... Motor power, etc.

I too had problems when the wiring harness of my E15 rubbed aganst the
traction motor pulley and shorted to ground several wires.  Got exciting
that day when using the tractor.  Electric smell, intermittant operation.
When I saw the damage I disconnected the battery cables ASAP.

I had to remove the harness from the tractor, but I rebuilt it using even
heavier cables.

One important change I made was to fasten the harness to the tractor frame
more securely.  The harness as it passes under the tractor frame is held in
place with just a few wire ties.  This is OK so long as the harness remains
striaght.  Over the years min harness had twisted a little bit until it
rubbed against the motor pulley.  I simply drilled a few more holes in the
frame identical to the original holes where the wire ties held the harness
to the tractor frame.  I doubled the number of wire ties, and I defy the
harness to rub against the motor pulley.  (Oh great, now they'll all break.
I guess I shouldn't have said that.)

This is an easy modification and I recommend it pre-emptively to owners of
large frame tractors.  Just be sure to use the black UV resistant wire
ties.
The common ones will become brittle in sunlight and eventually will crack
and break.

I really should have posted this sooner.  But I did the repair a few years
before I knew of this list and kind of forgot I even did it.  These recent
problems reminded me about the repair.  If I restore another tractor it
gets
the fix regardless.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net