        From:   Jim Coate [SMTP:jbc coate org]
        Sent:   Sunday, June 01, 2003 7:14 PM
        To:     ET
        Subject:        Re: (ET) ELEC-TRAK in the UK

        Using a PM motor would allow the use of more common controllers,
but
as
        David said the existing sep-ex motor is going to take a lot more
abuse.
        Someone was selling a souped up ET with a series-wound motor and
        matching controller - this would equal the grunt of the original
motor,
        but loose the regen braking.

        Meanwhile Alltrax is working on a sep-ex controller and will be
        specifically testing it on an ET (!). If you can wait a couple of
        months, I'd suggest the keeping the original motor and using this
new
        controller - their other controllers are good stuff.

        David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
        > The wound-field motors are pretty darn stout.  You'll be amazed
at
how strongly
        > they can pull and how durable they are.  Many or all apparenly
have an internally
        > connected series field, but the dominant field is the externally
connected
        > separately excited field.  I've heard that the 4QD controllers
work well with these
        > motors but haven't tried one yet.
        >
        > Some of the E12s, and I believe all of the E8s and E10s, had PM
motors.  These
        > didn't stand up well to overheating and are usually considered
less desirable than
        > the GE wound-field motors.  In fact I can't think of any current
PM motor that
        > would be a better choice than the wound-field for this
application.

        > I believe they all used Peerless transaxles, but I don't know
what
model or models.

        Christopher GODDARD wrote:
         > I would like to update the motor
         >     to a modern highefficincy permant magnet motor and PWM
controller
         >     but how much power can the transmission take?

        _________
        Jim Coate
        1992 Chevy S10
        1970's Elec-Trak