From: Barry Woods [mailto:barry woods wright edu]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 10:06 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) mower blades

Has anyone had any luck in finding a set of high-lift blades to fit the 42"
front mount mowing deck?  The blades I ordered from  Bill Gunn have very
little lift and the appearance of the lawn after cutting, even with freshly
sharpened blades, is disappointing.

If my measurements are correct, the blades look to be 14 1/2" in length and
the center hole seems to be about 5/16".  I can find 14 1/2" blades but
nothing with a center hole that small.

I tried mounting two blades on each motor, at right angles with the fiber
washer between them. It did give somewhat better lift and did not seem to
draw anymore current, but no matter how hard I tighten them they will not
stay perpendicular to each other and one will swing around and stop
directly
under the other after mowing  row or two and them the advantage of two is
lost.

Gatorblades make a mulching blade that does not require a closed deck.  I
figure this would stop some of the back pressure and not draw as much
current as a regular mulching blade would  with the discharge chute blocked
off.  I contacted them (gatorblade.com), but they said they do not have
that
would fit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,