From:   Chris Zach [mailto:czach computer org]
Sent:   Thursday, May 01, 2003 9:50 PM
To:     Steve Caplan
Cc:     ET Discussion List (E-mail) (E-mail)
Subject:        Re: (ET) E-15 Reverse relay Arcing

The E15 is a bit different than the E20. On the E20, reverse was made by
using 4 contactors to reverse the polarity on the armature. They were in
a push-pull arrangement so a failure couldn't blow the armature sky
high. As a result, in reverse the tractor had less torque (due to the
fact that the field was weakened since technically it is a compound-ish
motor)
On the E15, reverse is controlled by using a single relay to reverse
polarity on the field. A lot cheaper, but if the tractor is moving
forward *at all* when you toss it into reverse you are going to get a
relay-melting spark.

There might be a varistor that goes across the relay to absorb the
sparks, or a capacitor. If so I'd bet it's blown.

Chris